When I was in elementary school, pizza pockets were my go-to after school snack. We always had a box in the freezer and I burned my tongue often on the cheesy, saucy treat. When Alivia first started eating pizza, we would deconstruct her slice, toppings in a pile next to squares of cut up crust. She’s only recently started to enjoy pizza as a complete entity, which made me excited to share the magic of a pizza pocket with her.
Stephen and I decided to try making our own pizza pockets using turkey breast deli meat and turkey pepperettes. The result, was delicious and Alivia’s proclaimed turkey pepperettes as her new favourite snack. The recipe makes 8 and I had planned to eat 1 or 2 but somehow ended up devouring 5 of them hot from the air fryer. By using pre-cooked turkey products, the pizza pockets were super simple and quick to make. Alivia loved helping out, even though more of the turkey pepperettes ended up in her belly than inside the dough. We used a simple pizza dough recipe but any store bought rising dough would work as well. With the flavour of the pepperettes and tomato sauce, no additional salt was needed. This was such a great way to use turkey deli meat and the fillings customizable to individual palates. The pizza pockets would be great to freeze for meal prep and reheat wonderfully in an air fryer for an instant, satisfying warm lunch (or afternoon snack…or two).
For more inspiration and recipes featuring turkey, visit www.ThinkTurkey.ca
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Turkey Farmers of Canada. All ideas and opinions expressed are wholly mine.
- ? 1 pizza dough crust
- ? 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- ? 1/2 cup turkey deli meat, chopped
- ? 2 turkey pepperettes, sliced
- ? 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- ? 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- ? 2 white mushrooms, sliced
- ? 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ? 1 tbsp olive oil
- ? 1 tsp dried oregano
- ? 1 tsp dried basil
- Cut pizza dough into 8 equal parts. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and roll out into a wide oval shape.
- Spread a spoonful (approx 1 tbsp) of tomato sauce in the centre of the dough, top with chopped turkey deli meat, turkey pepperettes, red onion, bell pepper, mushrooms, shredded cheese.
- Fold the dough over the filling in half and crimp the folded sides together using a fork. Be sure to fully close the edge to avoid leaks of sauce and melted cheese.
- Brush the top of each pizza pocket with olive oil and sprinkle a mix of dried oregano and dried basil.
- Cook the pizza pockets in an air fryer at 380°F for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and dough is fully cooked.
Leave a Reply