The holidays this year will be different from what we’re used to. Smaller, more intimate but no less festive. Our tree is up, my Christmas playlist has been on repeat since December 1st and we’ve already built two giant snowmen. While Stephen and I won’t be hosting any social gatherings this year, we are still taking time off work to recharge, hopefully relax and spend time away disconnected from work. For us, the definition of relaxing is playing video games or watching a movie once Alivia’s in bed with a bowl of snacks. And when it comes to snacks, nothing beats corn chips and a good cheese dip.
Two years ago, we attended a wedding in Virginia that served the best queso I’ve ever tasted. I ate more cheese that night than my entree and I’ve been dreaming of it ever since. We finally tried making our own version with this recipe for queso inspired Turkey Cheese Dip and it is the perfect movie snack. Also great as a holiday meal appetizer or afternoon grazing dish. The turkey kielbasa adds a nice smokiness to the dip and the turkey bacon a light crunch. This recipe also smelled amazing while it was simmering in our slow cooker.
This was our first time cooking with turkey kielbasa and I really enjoyed its flavour as well as how easy it was to cook with. We were able to add a lot of savoury, rich flavour with just one ingredient. The turkey bacon was also a nice light addition for texture
For more inspiration and recipes featuring turkey, visit www.ThinkTurkey.ca
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Turkey Farmers of Canada. All ideas and opinions expressed are wholly mine.
- 5 strips of turkey bacon
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 125 grams turkey kielbasa, diced
- 16 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsps smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the turkey bacon following the package instructions until crisp.
- While turkey bacon is cooking, dice the onion and turkey sausage into small 1/2 cm cubes. Dice Velveeta cheese into 2 cm inch cubes.
- In a pan, sauté the onions and turkey kielbasa together until onions are softened.
- Add cooked onions, turkey kielbasa, Velveeta cheese, milk, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and ground cumin into a slow cooker and set to low for 2hrs or high for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, salt and pepper to taste and chopped turkey bacon. Serve with unsalted corn chips.
Tips: Several of the ingredients in the recipe have salt already added, additional salt may not be needed.
[…] you want to feel like you are out at your favourite restaurant from the comfort of your own home, Xiao Wang’s recipe for Turkey Cheese Dip will hit the spot. Serve it for your family for the big game, for the […]