One of my favourite foods is sushi and sashimi. Raw fish is one of my weaknesses and I will crave it at least once a week (backing up my belief that I was a bear in a previous life). Living in Toronto, I’m lucky to be inundated with Japanese restaurants that are great quality at a good value; I walk by five different establishments just in the short walk from the TTC to my condo.
Even with the great value, the cost of eating out adds up. Recently, M2M a small Asian grocery store opened that offers sushi grade salmon, and has been key in satisfying my sushi cravings while keeping my wallet happy. Now when I need my quick fix, I grab a slab of sushi sashimi on my way home and slice it up myself. The price is ~$10-$14 for ~1lb, plenty for two people or one hungry bear. We followed a scaled down version of this recipe for the sushi rice and it was worth the extra effort.
- 2 cups of Japanese rice
- 2 1/6 cups of water
- 1/5 cup of rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2/3 tsp of salt
- 1 tbsps of roasted sesame seeds
- roasted seaweed
- 1 lb of sushi grade salmon
- Wash the rice until the water runs clear, this may take up to 5-6 rinses, and set aside for 30 minutes. Add the rice and water to the rice cooker and let sit for another 30 mins before starting the cooker. Once the rice is cooked, let the cooker steam for an additional 15 minutes.
- Heat the rice vinegar, sugar and salt in a saucepan until the sugar dissolves. Be careful not to let too much of the vinegar dissolve. At this point, it might smell very poignant. After the mixture is mixed with the rice and allowed to cool, the sourness does mellow out.
- Spread the cooked rice out on a large plate, sprinkle the vinegar mixture on the rice. Incorporate the vinegar using a rice paddle by "cutting" and folding the rice, try not to mash or break any of the grains.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sushi grade salmon to your desired thickness.
- Fill the bowl with the sushi rice, layer on the salmon and garnish with roasted seaweed and sesame seeds if desired.
Step by Step Photos