Technically, none of these restaurants are in “Toronto” but if you’re looking for authentic xiao long bao, north is the way to go. Xiao long bao, or soup dumplings is a native street food from Shanghai and one of my favourite foods in the world. I binge eat trays of the steamed baos filled with savoury soup whenever I’m in China. In Toronto, while more and more restaurants are offering the dish, some do use pre-made, cooked from frozen baos. To get the handmade, fresh baos head to any one of these restaurants.
4.0 / $Why?
Amazing xiao long baos, thin, chewy texture, plenty of soupMust Order:
Shrimp and minced pork xiao long baoGood For?
Families, lunch, quick meals
4.5 / $$Why?
Thin wrappers, juicy filling and perfectly steamedMust Order:
Xiao Long Bao original filling and with crabGood For?
Families, lunch, quick meals, big groups
3.5 / $Why?
Central Markham location, fresh made baos, great fillingMust Order:
Xiao Long Bao, Egg white with seafoodGood For?
Families, dinner, dim sum
4.0 / $$Why?
New restaurant, less busy than Ding Tai Fung with great XLBMust Order:
Xiao long bao with crab, Beef brisket noodleGood For?
Dim sum, families, quick meals, large groups
Still TBE (To be Eaten):
- Mother’s Dumplings
- Chinese Traditional Buns
Asian Legend A La Kitchen
- 369 Shanghai Dim Sum
- Dumpling House
- Lee Chen
Did I miss your favourite restaurant? Let me know in the comments.
Last Updated: 01/06/2016
My favourite gift to receive is a splurge meal. Be it a birthday, anniversary or any celebration, a good meal with wine, shared with family and friends is how I love to spend my evening. These Toronto restaurants are currently my favourite spots for a special meal.
4.0 / $$$$Why?
Intimate, impeccable service, beautiful aged steaks and a wide selection of wineMust Order:
Jacobs Caesar Salad made table sideGood For?
Romantic dates, couples, anniversaries
5.0 / $$$$Why?
Best sashimi in the city, hidden entrance, great patioMust Order:
Fresh Sashimi Platter, AburiciousGood For?
Small groups, couples, birthdays
5.0 / $$$Why?
Delicious food, complicated cocktails and perfect for sharingMust Order:
Whole Sea Bream Ceviche, Bone MarrowGood For?
Small groups, couples, special dates
Honourable Mentions: Rating/Price:
4.0 / $$$$Why?
Fantastic sushi, intimate atmosphere, unique dining experienceMust Order:
Adventurous date, special event, small groups
Still TBE (To be Eaten):
- Le Cafe Michi
- Lai Wah Heen
- Hiro Sushi
- Los Colibris
- The Carbon Bar
Did I miss your favourite restaurant? Let me know in the comments. Last Updated: 04/28/2015
Summerlicious is upon us again. One of my favourite food events in Toronto, it is a perfect opportunity to try a new restaurant, indulge for a great price and overall, eat some great food. This year’s event runs from July 4th to 20th. Participating restaurants will be offering set lunch ($15, $20 or $25) and dinner ($30, $35, $40) menus. Personally, I find reservations are easier to make today with many restaurants using online systems but if you’re aiming for a popular venue (ie. Canoe, Auberge de Pommier), calling on the day reservations open is still a must. Every year, I aim to eat at one “fancy” restaurant to add to my list of restaurants for special occasions, one casual “dinner” for a night out with friends and one restaurant that caters to large groups. So far this year, I have 3 dinners set and one lunch still to be planned.
Where I’ll Be:
- Cafe Boulud – $45 Dinner / French / The “fancy” dinner
- Ganzi Osteria – $25 Dinner / Italian / The “casual” dinner
- Jump – $35 Dinner / Italian / The “group” dinner
- Lunch – I’m looking for tantalizing menus that are similar or even more appealing relative to the dinner menu
- Weslodge – $20 Lunch / Canadian / I would order Scotch Egg, Seared Sea Bass and Instant Cake
- Bosk (Past Review) – $25 Lunch / Canadian / I would order Seared Albacore Tuna, Roasted Flat Iron Steak and Citrus Cake
- Quince (Past Review) – $20 Lunch / Mediterranean / I would order Gazpacho Soup, Capunti Bianco and Warm Chocolate Brownie
- Dinner – I’m looking for great atmosphere, interesting menu items and best value
- Auberge du Pommier – $45 Dinner / French / I would order Watermelon Gazpacho, Salmon & Peas and Ice Cream Sandwich
- Bent (Past Review) – $35 Dinner / Asian / I would order Gazpacho, Asian Marinated Stirploin and the Dessert Trio
- Luma (Past Review) – $35 Dinner / Canadian / I would order Tossed Octopus Salad, Broiled Pickerel and Chocolate Parfait Sundae
- Good for Groups – I’m looking for a variety of choices, easy parking/access and a spacious dining area
- Parts & Labour (Past Review) – $35 Dinner only / Canadian / I would order Steak Tartare, Pappardelle and Lemon Pie
- Destingo (Past Review) – $15 Lunch, $25 Dinner / Italian / For dinner I would order the Grilled Calamari, Rack of Lamb and Tiramisu
- Paese (Past Review) – $20 Lunch, $35 Dinner / Italian / For dinner I would order the Chilled Soup, Ravioli and Lobster and Cioccolato
Check out all of my past Licious event reviews for more ideas and recommendations.