What is it: Frozen Meals
Disclaimer: Products reviewed below were provided complimentary by Ely Products. All opinions expressed below are wholly mine and not indicative of the opinions or positions held by Ely Products.
Made from ingredients sourced from Ontario farmers, Fudi offers a healthy alternative to frozen dinners. Using an all-natural, preservative-free sous-vide cooking process, Fudi maximizes flavour while maintaining the nutrition of their ingredients. Each entree comes with pouches of kale, pearl barley and a quarter chicken (de-boned) seasoned with one of the Fudi spice mixes. To prepare, the pouches are reheated in boiling water for 15-17 minutes. There are 5 Fudi entrees available and 6 spice mixes, which may be purchased online through their website or in store at Whole Foods and select Foodland locations.
Fudi is currently running a contest on their Facebook page, featuring photos of their product taken by bloggers, including my photo of their Santa Fe Chicken. Find out more about their products and vote for your favourite photo here!
I have a soft spot for frozen dinners. Often I’ll grab one for lunch at work for the convenience and knowing the calorie count if I’m trying trim the waistline. While healthier options have emerged, frozen dinners generally still have low protein content and high grain. Preparing one of the Fudi entrees may be slightly more work than throwing it in the microwave, I found the ingredients healthy (often more so than my home cooked meals), and the portion size filling. While testing out Fudi, I ate way more kale, whole grains and lean white meat than I would have on my own.
- What I liked:
Each entree was a balanced meal and only 400 calories
The chicken in all 5 entree flavours were well seasoned with a mix of dark and white meat
My favourite flavour was the Santa Fe while The Hubby favoured the Cacciatora
The convenience, even though preparing the meals took 15-20 minutes, this was still quicker than making a similar dish from scratch
Minimal clean up! All that was needed to prepare Fudi was a pot (and some tongs)
I was surprised at how filling each entree was. With a ¼ cup of pearl barley and 1 cup of kale I often ended up passing scoops of barley from my plate to The Hubby’s
- What could use work:
Distribution of kale leaves – in some entrees, my kale was only ends of leaves while others only had tips. This meant even re-heated for the same amount of time, some packages my kale became a boiled down clump
When reheating the bags in boiling water, they kind of float, which sometimes meant uneven re-heating. I followed the preparation instructions to the tee and I’m not sure what could be done to fix this. Is a rolling boil needed for the entire reheating time?
After reheating, the bags are super hot to handle, larger print of this warning would be helpful.
The kale is unseasoned and needs to be seasoned after, maybe a small seasoning packet for the kale could be included?
TL;DR: Full of high quality and healthy ingredients, Fudi offers a quick, convenient and unique frozen meal solution that doesn’t involve the microwave.
Winterlicious reservations opened this morning and by now, I think everyone’s familiar with the drill. If not, check out my previous guides/picks for Winterlicious 2015 and Summerlicious 2014. This year’s event runs from January 29th to February 11th. Lunch prices are $18, $23, $28 and dinner prices are $25, $35, $45, same as last year. So far, I have two dinners booked, a fancy date night with The Hubby and a weekday night out with girlfriends.
Where I’ll Be:
- Cafe Boulud – $45 Dinner / French / The “fancy” dinner
- Colette Grand Cafe – $45 Dinner / French / The “girls night” dinner
- Lunch – I’m looking for tantalizing menus that are similar or even more appealing relative to the dinner menu
- Thoroughbred Food and Drink (Past Review) – $23 Lunch / Canadian / I would order Kung Pao Cauliflower, Trout and Apple Crisp
- Canoe – $28 Lunch / Canadian / I would order Pickled Atlantic Mackerel, Braised Lamb Shoulder and Caramel Pumpkin Cake
- Bar Buca – $18 Lunch / Italian / I would order Testa and Nodini, Verdure Schiacciata and Biscotti Di Mosai and Cannoli Siciliani
- Dinner – I’m looking for great atmosphere, interesting menu items and best value
- Auberge du Pommier (Past Review) – $45 Dinner / French / I would order Pate de Campagne, Bouef Bourguignon and Gâteaux aux Amandes
- Lee – $45 Dinner / Asian / I would order Spicy General Tao Popcorn Chicken, Slow Braised Beef and Dessert Trio
- Archeo – $25 Dinner / Italian / I would order Fall Caprese, Hot Smoked Ocean Trout and White Chocolate Ricotta Cheesecake
- Good for Groups – I’m looking for a variety of choices, easy parking/access and a spacious dining area
- The Carbon Bar – $35 Dinner only / Canadian / I would order Hamachi Poke, Fried Chicken and Pork Ribs and Dulce de Leche Ice Cream
- Cluny (Past Review) – $35 Dinner / French / For dinner I would order the Lentil Soup, Grilled Albacore Tuna and Milk Chocolate Mousse
- Quince (Past Review) – $23 Lunch / Mediterranean / I would order Baby Kale Salad, Potato Gnocchi and Milk Chocolate Pannacotta
Check out all of my past Licious event reviews for more ideas and recommendations.
Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas (and every other holiday celebration) and a Happy New Year!
For myself, 2015 marked many special events. This was the first year The Hubby and I celebrated as a married couple and we loved spending time with both of our families, feasting and arguing over boardgames. 2015 has been full of celebrations and amazing memories including 5 weddings, 9 countries and 1 baby. So far we’ve already booked a two week vacation for April (Hint: It’s in Europe!) and I can’t wait to see what else 2016 has in store!
Happening right now on my Instagram account! Win a $25 Gift Card for Starbucks!
#GIVEAWAY | Thank you to everyone who follows me! I can’t believe I’ve hit 2500 followers and as a way of thanks, I’d like to run a contest just for you guys!
One winner will receive a $25 gift card to Starbucks. This contest is in no way sponsored by Starbucks. I’m simply thanking my followers with a gift I’d love to receive for Christmas.
1. Follow @xiaoeats on Instagram
2. Like the Instagram post
3. Optional #1: For 1 Bonus Entry, Tag 2 Friends. (2 Tags = 1 Entry)
4. Optional #2: For 2 Bonus Entries, Repost this image and use hashtag: #xiaoeatsgiveaway
Contest ends on December 16, 2015 at 11:59PM.
🌟Winner will be contacted the following day.
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE and Thank you for following!
Per Instagram rules, we must mention this is no way sponsored, administered, or associated with Instagram, Inc. By entering, entrants confirm they are 13+ years of age, release Instagram of responsibility, and agree to Instagram’s term of use.
Contest is open to Canadian residents only.