As my lips begin to dry, and skin begins to flake, I know there’s no denying it. Winter is coming. With the wind outside turning cold and brisk, and the heating in my condo kicking into high gear, my body needs every drop of water it can absorb. While I unpack my humidifier from storage to keep me misty on the outside, I also try to stay hydrated from within by guzzling plenty of water. However, I’ve recently changed jobs at work and often find myself in back to back meetings, which makes getting my daily fill of water more challenging. I have to remind myself the importance of staying hydrated and prioritize my water bottle as important as my cellphone.
Staying hydrated isn’t only good for chapped lips and dry skin, but helps with weight loss, body temperature regulation, energy levels and headaches. Dehydration can even affect your mood and make you more vulnerable to colds.
Some tips on staying hydrated through the colder months include:
- Reusable Water Bottles: Since I’m often away from my desk, having a water bottle to tote around the office is key. Indigo has an awesome selection of stylish water bottles, turning the container into a cute accessory. I’ve also been known to re-use 1L Evian bottles, which are sturdy and easy to carry.
- Fill up at the start of the day: Sometimes, I forget to drink water until I realize I’m parched at the end of the day. To fight this, I try to fill up a 1L water bottle at the start of the day and again at lunch so I always have water on hand, even if I don’t leave my desk for hours at a time.
- Get your water content from fruit: If you’re The Hubby, who hates drinking plain water, try eating fruit that’s high in water content like watermelon.
- Infuse water with flavours or try coconut water: An option for those who get bored with just water is to add a squeeze of lemon or lime to their glass. Coconut water’s also a great option that’s also a great source of vitamins and electrolytes. Thirsty Buddha’s new All-Natural Coconut Water with Watermelon adds a touch of sweetness to each sip.
- Tea: If cold drinks aren’t your thing, switch to tea. I am in love with all the berry flavoured teas from David’s Tea.
However you do it, staying hydrated in the cooler seasons is just as important as the hotter ones. I even have calendar reminders to keep me drinking throughout the day.
Disclaimer: A sample of Thirsty Buddha All-Natural Coconut Water with Watermelon was provided complimentary by Buddha Brands Co. All opinions expressed below are wholly mine and not indicative of the opinions or positions held by Buddha Brands Co.