Amongst our friends Stephen and I are not known as sports people. In fact, we’re pretty much the complete opposite (unless we’re talking e-sports). However we love any excuse to cook up a feast for family and friends, including big game days. When thinking of delicious finger foods, spring rolls immediately came to mind. Crispy, bite size and super customizable. Pretty much anything can go into a spring roll. We came up with this recipe for Hoisin Turkey Spring Rolls inspired by the flavours of a Peking Duck wrap. Using turkey, a lean protein, along with plenty of vegetables helps keep the dish lighter even though it is deep fried. For an even lighter option, the spring rolls can be cooked using an air fryer.
For this recipe we chose to use shredded turkey thigh for the rich flavour and texture. The strips of turkey work perfectly as spring roll filling in terms of shape and texture. The filling is seasoned lightly to be complemented with a hoisin dipping sauce. Along with turkey, we filled our spring rolls with enoki mushrooms, green onions, carrots and cabbage. Some of the ingredients are pre-cooked and others raw, creating a variety of textures in each bite.
Starting the new year with goals of being healthier and fitter, I’m happy to continue incorporating turkey as a mainstay on our grocery list! The versatile ingredient is a great protein option for any recipe, easy to cook and delicious. I can’t wait to start smoking Turkey Legs again once the weather warms up. Until then, a bowl of Turkey Ramen Broth is the perfect liquid comfort.
For other delicious recipes featuring turkey, visit www.ThinkTurkey.ca.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Turkey Farmers of Canada. All ideas and opinions expressed are wholly mine.
- 250g turkey thigh cooked, shredded
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp five spice powder
- 1cup enoki mushrooms
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup of green onion, shredded
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp oyster
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4tsp of white pepper
- 1 package of spring roll wrappers, small size
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- Preheat oven to 310 degrees F.
- Season the meat side of the turkey thigh with salt, pepper, 5 spice, and let sit for 30 mins.
- Roast turkey in oven until internal temperature near the bone is 165 degrees F. Once cooked, let cool to room temperature and shred or cut into long, thin slices.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp of oil and stir fry the shredded carrots, cabbage and turkey together. Season with 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp white pepper and 2 tsp of oyster sauce. Cook until carrots and cabbage are soft.
- Defrost the spring roll wrappers and assemble with the cooked filling, along with a few shreds of enoki mushrooms and green onion.
- In a pot with 2-3 inches of canola oil, heat until the oil reaches 350 degrees F. Fry the assembled spring rolls until they are golden brown (approx 4 minutes), flipping them occasionally to ensure even browning.
- Serve with hoisin sauce.
- Find spring roll wrappers in the frozen section of Asian grocery stores.
- To help keep the spring rolls together, when rolling, brush the edges with a slurry of cornstarch and water.