When I was little, I did not like zucchini. My mom would only stir fry them or use them in soup and the mushy texture did not appeal to me. Fast forward to university when the Fiance and I were roommates sharing groceries. He would only stock zucchinis, so being the cheap university student I was, I learned to appreciate them. Now, I actually crave them sometimes and they’re a staple for BBQs. This recipe is another format that would make a zucchini lover out of anyone.
- 4 medium zucchinis
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees F.
- Using a coarse grater, grate all of the the zucchini into a large bowl. Add in the coarse salt and let sit for 10 minutes. This will cause the zucchini to "sweat" out some of the water.
- Using a clean, thin tea towel or a strong paper towel, wring the water out of the shredded zucchini a fistful at a time. The volume of the zucchini should shrink by half
- Add in the chopped green onions, egg, pepper and mix.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and baking powder before adding to the zucchini. mix everything together.
- Liberally oil a pan. Once the pan is heated, spoon ~1/2 cup of the batter for each fritter. Gently press the mixture into a pancake shape, about 1/4 inch thick.
- Cook until the bottom browns, ~2-3 mins, flip the fitter and repeat.
- Using a flat roasting rack, finish the fritters in the oven for 10 mins, letting them crisp up.
Step by Step Photos