Given the choice between white and dark meat, I will always choose dark. However, during a busy week, throwing a piece of chicken breast in a pan is the easiest way to add lean protein to a meal. What I love about this quick and easy recipe is how much flavour it adds to the white meat. You can prep the blackened spice rub in bulk before hand, store it in an air tight jar and it cuts down prep time even more. Cooking the chicken on a cast iron pan produces a nice sear, but if you don’t have one, bake the chicken in the oven at 350 degrees for 35 mins.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/8 tsp of ground white pepper
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp cooking wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat your cast iron pan on the stove top over medium heat until oil just begins to smoke.
- Mix together the spices and set aside. Prep your chicken by pounding the breasts into thin flat pieces and soak with cooking wine. Coat each piece evenly with the spice mixture and place into the hot pan.
- Sear each side of the chicken for 1 minute and then transfer the cast iron pan into the oven.
- Bake for another 5-10 mins depending on the thickness of the breast.
Step by Step Photos