Summer has officially arrived and that means food festivals. My favourite events during the hot months in Toronto are most definitely the Asian night markets that have become more and more popular in the past years. Wandering down aisles of stalls offering everything from bubble tea to stinky tofu, I’m always trying to figure out just how much I can eat. With their growing popularity though, it feels like the lines at night markets get longer and longer every year.
This year with Alivia in tow, we’ll be avoiding the crowds and heat. Instead, we’re taking inspiration from my favourite street food staple, BBQ lamb skewers, and bringing the flavours to our own backyard BBQ with this recipe for Spiced Pork Skewers.
With a few super simple steps, these skewers are great for any summer BBQ and so tasty. Using duBreton‘s Boneless Pork Filet made prep even easier, and oh my, the pork was so juicy and tender right out of the package. All of duBreton’s Certified Humane and Organic pork products are antibiotic-free and ethically-produced. They believe in letting pigs be pigs, which means they’re raised in crate-free environment with no physical alterations and fed a high-quality grain feed diet. Also, so, so tasty.
The spice mix has a bit of Sichuan numbness and heat (mala), which can be adjusted to taste. Grilling this recipe will bring the aroma of night market to your backyard, minus the stinky tofu, and without any lines while making #duBretonBetterChoices.
Disclaimer: This is a sponsored post in collaboration with duBreton. All ideas and opinions expressed are wholly mine.
- 1 tbsp dried red chili flakes
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 pound duBreton Unmarinated Pork Boneless Filet
- Grind together the dried red chili flakes, fennel seeds, kosher salt and Sichuan peppercorns, then add the cumin and garlic powder, and combine thoroughly.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon of spice mix, to be sprinkled onto the skewers as they're being grilled.
- Cut the duBreton Pork Boneless Filet into 1 inch cubes and place in large mixing bowl, add in the spice mix, vegetable oil and Chinese cooking wine. Mix and make sure each piece of pork is coated on all sides.
- Let the marinated pork rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Preheat BBQ on medium heat and lightly oil grates.
- Thread pork pieces onto skewers, packed loosely.
- Grill skewers on BBQ over indirect medium heat for 4-6 mins per side, then finish on direct high heat until pork is no longer pink inside, 2-3 mins per side.
- Let the skewers rest for 5-10 mins before serving.
- Tip: If using bamboo skewers, soak them in water for over 2 hours to prevent the ends from burning on the BBQ
- Tip: To thoroughly combine spice mixes, put all your ingredients into a jar with a lid and shake vigorously. This also allows you to make a large batch of spice mix and to easily store for next time.