I’ve been lucky enough to visit Japan twice so far (many more trips to come) and each visit has enhanced my appreciation and love for Japanese cuisine. In March I spent 5 days in Tokyo with my mom and little brother, touring the city in between meals.
These were my top 5 eats from this trip:
- Sushi Breakfast @ Tsukiji Fish Market: 5-2-1 Tsukiji
- A must, fresh sushi from the market, long line-ups, arrive by 6am!
- SushiDai and Daiwa Sushi are the most famous and well known with set meals, expect 2-3 hour line ups
- There are many other options in the area if you don’t want to line up
- Try the uni, best I’ve ever tasted
- Ramen @ Mutekiya Ramen: 1-17-1 Minamiikebukuro, Toshima
- Rich, fatty broth, abundance of toppings
- Small store, customers seated in batches, also be prepared to wait
- Takoyaki @ Street Vendor: Near Meji Shrine
- Freshly made, crispy outside and gooey centre
- If your stomach can handle street food, the street vendors are a must try
- Tempura @ Aoi Marushin: 1-4-4 Asakusa, Taito
- Cake and Tea @ Harbs3F, Yokohama Landmark Plaza 2-2-1, Minatomirai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama-city
- Dessert is a must in Tokyo, the giant parfaits you see in anime? All real